On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 07:26 +1100, Frank Tkalcevic wrote:
> This whole server/client/remote/x11 discussion has got me perplexed.  Maybe
> I've missed something, but I've been running my development environment on
> headless boxes for years.

My recent experience has been a little bit different. I have a fresh
Live CD install on one computer, then a fairly fresh Ubuntu 10.04
install on a workstation. Fresh, meaning not a lot of other changes
made, such as dev packages, that would hide the features a new user
would need to install. For instance the EMC2 box needed sshd installed,
but not really anything else because the ssh config file had defaults
that allowed X forwarding.

Mine was "ssh -X remote_IP" or ssh -X user@remote_IP"

> to establish a terminal session to the box.  From there, I can launch any X
> application, including axis, and they will pop up on my windows 7 display
> without any problems.  Axis pops up in a few seconds, although, as Jon said,
> it is generally a bit sluggish because of all the graphics.

For me, generic apps and tkEMC work well, just not AXIS.

> As was mentioned in another post, there are two parts to running an X
> application - the X client and the X server.
>
> The X client is the program - axis, xeyes, glxgears, etc
>
> The X server is the display.
>
> The x client is only linked to the x libraries.  When an x client
> application is run, it establishes a connection to the x server (the
> libraries contain the connection code) and the server displays the client's
> data.  This connection can be local, or remote, over the network.  An X
> server does not need to be running on the local box if it is connecting to a
> remote server.
>
> Originally, all you needed to do was set the DISPLAY environment variable
> and this is where your x windows would apppear...

Apparently now, the DISPLAY= is handled by the "ssh -X" login.

> DISPLAY=hostname:0.0
>
> This has been complicated a bit lately with security, but it is still the
> same concept.  If you use ssh, you can set up a X tunnel (or something like
> that) and the DISPLAY variable and security are handled transparently.
>
> As I mentioned, I used Cygwin/x on a windows 7 box, but a remote connection
> can be to another linux server that is running an X server, that is, running
> the gnome desktop.
>
> This means, as Kent discovered, you can create a minimal linux installation,
> that is pretty much dedicated to running emc.  Then use a remote connection
> to display axis on another machine.

I would like to try an EMC setup that has no video card and the on-board
video disabled. My very dated experience has been that I could not get
the computer to boot. Otherwise, if I stopped X, even the text only
configuration of EMC2 would not run. This was quite a while ago, maybe I
missed something or the software has changed to allow this now. Maybe,
I've gotten smarter since then (ya right), and should try again.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html