Kent A. Reed wrote:
> At best I'm a dilettante with machine tools and certainly I'm no expert
> with a lathe. That not withstanding, long, long ago, I was taught to cut
> a tapered thread on a manual lathe by shifting the tailstock over. It
> seems to me this would necessarily mean the thread pitch was measured
> "along the hypotenuse" since the line of motion of the saddle is
> parallel to that hypotenuse.

Right. and in fact it is wrong, by the definition of the thread pitch.
BUT, it is a small
enough error in most tapered threads as to not cause any problem.
> Not being able to imagine (I said limited brain, remember) how else they
> cut tapered threads on a lathe in the old days, I expect the standard
> specifications (ASME B1.20.1, fer instance) of the times would reflect this.

The proper way to do this is with a taper attachment, which WILL cut the
exact taper
parallel to the spindle axis.

I think it is all in Machinery's handbook, of you have one of those.

Jon