As John said, in horology, the curve of a fusee has to
exactly match the force of the mainspring if it is to do its
job properly. The idea is that the force of a wound up
spring is much greater than that of a spring which is mostly
unwound and the fusee is there as a continually variable
pulley to ensure that the gearing of the clock or watch gets
a constant force over the whole period of the spring run.
When the spring is fully wound it pulls on a small diameter
of the fusee whilst, when it is running down, it pulls on a
larger diameter. Every mainspring is different in its
characteristics, even in our modern technological age, due
to slight differences in the structure and composition of
the metal and its hardening and tempering. Consequently, a
fusee has to be matched to each new spring it encounters. If
one is just making a pendulum clock, this exact matching is
less important than if one were making a chronometer but,
nevertheless, it does have some effect.

The traditional way in which fusees were made and adjusted
is as follows... The fusee blank was cast to a shape which
experience had shown was about the right profile for the
type and size of mainspring being used. It was then put in a
very simple, hand powered, screwcutting 'lathe'. This
usually had a simple headstock through which was mounted a
coarse screw of the same pitch as was desired on the fusee (
this was calculated by knowing how many times the fusee was
required to turn to give the desired length of run of the
clock - also knowing the cross section of the chain or cord
which would be necessary to safely transmit the force fo the
fully wound mainspring, the height of the fusee and
therefore the pitch of its thread could then be worked out.
). The outer end of this screw had a handle while the fusee
blank was fixed to the other end with the other end of this
fusee blank being fixed to a plain rod which ran through the
tailstock to provide support. The cutting tool was a simple
length of steel with the cutting end like a parting tool and
it slid in a square hole in the tool rest at right angles to
the fusee blank. The initial cuts might be made by pressing
a pin on this tool against a metal template of the curve
initially calculated for the fusee but correcting cuts were
done freehand by just pressing the tool into the work as it
was rotated by means of the handle. The final correction of
the fusee was done by fitting the fusee and mainspring up in
the clock frame and fitting a long rod with an adjustable
weight at its end onto the winding square on the shaft of
the fusee and at right angles to it. The mainspring was then
wound and the weight on the rod adjusted until the force of
the mainspring would just lift the rod against the force of
gravity. Now the fusee was allowed to turn a little more,
unwinding the mainspring, and the effect on the 'adjusting
rod' was noted. This was done repeatedly until the fusee was
fully unwound and the shape of the fusee was then corrected,
thread by thread, until the rod would neither lift nor fall
at any point of the fusee's several rotations. It is a long,
tedious but ultimately simple and low-tech process and, to
get it right, this is the only way to do it.

Fortunately, modern clocks and watches have removed the need
for a fusee by using escapements which are, largely, not
affected by the difference in force provided by the
mainspring as it runs down but I still have to do this whole
procedure whenever I replace the mainspring of a chronometer
or verge watch or clock.

I hope that this info is helpful to some..

Ian