On Wed, 25 Jan 2012, Andrew wrote:

> Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:26:50 +0200
> From: Andrew <parallel.kinemat...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users]  MESA questions
>
> Hello,
>
> Some questions regarding MESA cards:
> 1. Please confirm the configuration 7i43+7i48 for 6 channel analog servo.
> Is there full firmware support?

Yes, but you do need to use LinuxCNC 2.5 to support the 7I48

a 5I25/7I77 might be a better solution if you need additional 12/24V I/O

> 2. The friend's machine has 7 servos (including 3 spindles) in step/dir
> mode, and RS422 is preferred for higher input frequency. Which RS422
> daughter cards for 5i20 (or other FPGA) are supported with hardware? Also,
> is there any possible config with 7 steppers and 7 RS422 quadrature
> encoders?
Its a little awkward with 7 but for example:

The 7I52S has 6 RS-422 step/dir outputs and 6 RS-422/TTL encoder
inputs so 2 of these would give 12 of each. This would require a
5I23 as this is too much logic for a 5I20. This requires LinuxCNC 2.5 as well

2 7I47s would also do, giving 8 encoder inputs (RS-422 only) and
12 RS-422 step/dir outputs.

> Thanks,
> Andrew

Peter Wallace