Viesturs,
if your laser seems too bulky - have you tried transporting the beam to
the work head via optic fibres? In the laser division of my former
company, we had several powerful (many, say, 50 watts output) gold vapor
ans other lasers that weighed about a ton each and filled a whole
labratory room. The beams were focused by a microscope objective and
transported all the way through the building by a single glass fibre
(later on by plastic wires, try a guitar string!) into the surgery room.
Sometimes the fibres had to be cut off as the beam burned their light
entrance area.
Peter