On Monday, January 30, 2012 11:40:25 AM John Thornton did opine:

> If your using 2.4
>
> http://linuxcnc.org/docview/html/gcode_main.html#r3_7
>
> if your using 2.5
>
> http://linuxcnc.org/docview/2.5/html/gcode/o-code.html#_calling_files
>
> http://linuxcnc.org/docview/2.5/html/config/ini_config.html#_rs274ngc_se
> ction_a_id_sub_rs274ngc_section_a
>
> John

I'm using linuxcnc-2.6.0-pre2442 IIRC. I saw it was available last night
but the upgrade & renaming wasn't quite smooth, probably my fault though.
There were at least 3 shells sitting there, cd'd into ~/gene/emc2 or
deeper, so the install scripts can't rename a dir that's in use and
obviously can't edit every .ini file to change the PROGRAM_PATH.  That did
create a minor panic when I thought all my configs and code were wiped out.
Common sense fixable though so no big deal as I had it all running again in
20 minutes.

And in the wee hours of the morning last night I finally did grok that
while it was being referred to as a 'o<name> call', and had to have that
same construction (o<name> sub/endsub) internally, and while the error
messages didn't mention it, the file HAD to be in the PROGRAM_PATH
directory (that was in the wiki) AND named "name.ngc".

No thanks to the wiki for pointing that automatic (add an .ngc to the name)
renaming out.  That would have saved me about 10 hours of hair pulling
trying to make sense of the error messages. :(  Only deduced by staring at
the examples for hours, literally checking each character against what I
had.  In the end, I must be going blind or I would have seen that quicker
than I did.

I have a bit more editing to apply to the drill files yet, it just occurred
to me that I'll have to restore the X offset too in the bot.drill because
I'm G92.1-ing everything back to the default before making the tool change
move but s/b able to actually carve a board later today if it warms up
enough. So far it hasn't.  Exactly freezing ATM.  Global warming, 20 years
ago it would have been only 15 degrees at noon.

But progress is being made, one small step at a time. This cat will get
skint, I promise after the headache I've been to this list over it.  Many
Thanks to all who have helped.

Cheers, Gene
The hearing ear is always found close to the speaking tongue, a custom
whereof the memory of man runneth not howsomever to the contrary, nohow.