I have been working for sometime on a subset of RS274ngc parser. I have a
program on my Mac which reads a dxf file and converts it to RS274ngc and allows
you to invoke some wizards along with it. The purpose of my parser is to
re-read the RS274ngc files I create an allow them to be edited and see the
output on the screen in terms of generated 3d paths.

Long intro but the reason for this post is to say that writing a parser that
will make sense of the current state of RS274ngc code that is acceptable to
linuxcnc, is non-trivial. Even the subset that I am trying to handle is not so
easy. A EBNF parser should reject code (or at least flag it as error) that is
not legal for linuxcnc. As long as we allow people to define gcodes and or
mcodes on the fly, it is much more difficult.

I am one of those people who doesn't like code written without any whitespace
but I have no problem with the current linuxcnc parser/interpreter. My goal
was/is to be able to generate code that I like, formatted like I want, and that
is still acceptable to linuxcnc.

I see no benefit to an EBNF parser that is so loose that it will pass anything
that sort of resembles gcode without flagging invalid code.

Alan
---

Alan Condit
1085 Tierra Ct.