On Sunday, February 05, 2012 08:41:06 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > This board claims excellent speed, as in 10ns propagation delays thru
> > the opto stuffs.  That seems rather fast for opto's, and I haven't
> > measured it although I have the scope to do it with.
>
> I don't believe it!  If they are really opto-isolators and not some
> other technology like magnetic, then anything less than 100 ns is
> almost impossible.  I use some expensive optos with amplifiers in them,
> and they swallow pulses less than 250 ns wide.  I don't particularly
> worry about the propagation delay, but the minimum pulse width is a
> concern.
>
> Jon

Frankly, neither do I Jon, in fact when I read that, I immediately ordered
up a whole trainload of skepticism.  I didn't want to run out.  In my
present setup, I have the step pulse reset time at 4 u-secs, creeping down
about  .5 u-secs at a time when I think of it, which isn't often, till I
see skip problems.  I was cheerfully using about 1 microsecond with direct
drive into a xylotex board. Stepconfig originally set it at 5 u-secs.  All
of those timing specs for the MM542 drivers seem to be a proprietary
secret.  They seem to be working well, but who knows when one of those
specs has been pushed too far?  Unless the machine does wild & crazy things
that are obvious.  Then you'll finally know but likely not which one you
violated unless keeping notes.

Cheers, Gene
I believe a little incompatibility is the spice of life, particularly if he
has income and she is pattable.
                -- Ogden Nash