On Monday, February 06, 2012 03:05:26 AM Kirk Wallace did opine:

> On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 05:08 +0000, N. Christopher Perry wrote:
> > Thanks Kirk,
> >
> > I did as you suggested, and while I was at it I measured the series
> > current when shortedï»؟ and found that it was ~2mA.  My pulldowns were
> > in fact too high an impedance.  I dropped them to ~300 ohms and
> > everything is now working as expected.
> >
> > N.C.
>
> I'm glad you got it sorted out, but I think it was Gene that caught the
> resistor value being too high. I'll put a gold star by his name, and
> requisition another beer or two for a toast.

I'll have to take a rain check on the beer, Kirk, my sugar responded to
eating normal food today & its still 200+.  Damned meter won't let me get
away with anything anymore. :(

But in an earlier post Christopher said he saw 2 ma on his meter.  2 mills
through a 300 ohm resistor is courting noise trouble, big time because that
leaves his logic zero voltage at .6 volts or more. 100 ohms or so would
make it many times more reliable as 0.6 volts is only maybe 50 millivolts
from turning into a raging bully of a problem child, no noise margin at
all.  With CMOS construction it could be a little better but not a lot.
And neither of the 3 of us have a clue what process that parport driver
might be.  I think he said it was a D510, and I'll bet that rain checked
beer it is cmos since a TTL circuit would have a measurable effect on that
boards power budget, but diddled enough to work with TTL signal levels.

Please measure it Christopher and tell me if I'm at least in the same ball
park with my .6 volt SWAG.  This is the voltage on the parport end of the
wire I am talking about.  Above that 300 ohm'er IOW.

Cheers, Gene
First, I'm going to give you all the ANSWERS to today's test ...  So
just plug in your SONY WALKMANS and relax!!