On Feb 13, 2012, at 9:47 AM, Viesturs Lācis wrote:
> 2012/2/13 Tom Easterday <tom-...@bgp.nu>:
>>
>> We have the Keling KL-34GH101 10:1 gearboxes on the
>> X and Y joints (http://kelinginc.net/CNCGEARBOX.html)
>> with a 2" diameter pinion gear.
>>

> According to my calcs, with 1,6Nm rated motor torque, theoretically
> You are getting 630 N of continuous linear force. In practice it still
> should be above 600 N (gearboxes and other stuff is not 100%
> efficient). Totally fine for plasma machine.
>
> Is it enough for machine to work as a router? What kind of materials
> are You routing, what is power of spindle, what feed rates and cutting
> depths can You achieve? I am particularly interested in Your
> experience (if You have) with aluminium plates.

The answer is I don't know.  But, that is 139 lbs of linear force.  I can't
imagine that I would be plowing through something with that much force.  Of
course it depends on the spindle speed, the cutting tool, how deep you are
cutting, the material, etc but when I envision pushing a hand router through
something, I am not pushing with anywhere near 130lbs of force!   We don't have
a router for the machine and haven't used it for that yet so I can't speak from
experience.  If/when we do get a router it will probably be a water cooled high
speed spindle (24k rpm) with er20 collets.  I can't  imagine that we don't have
enough torque for that...

> And one more question about plasma cutting - does the heat from plasma
> torch help getting the gantry bridge and other parts getting warmer
> thus causing any deflections?

We have not noticed that any parts on the machine get warm to the touch
(besides the tip of the torch), but we haven't run it for hours on end yet
either.  Especially with the water table (but even without), I don't think
there is enough rise in temp of the surrounding parts or air to cause and
deflections. Certainly nothing on the gantry gets warm.  There is a lot of
metal (mostly aluminum) between the head and the gantry or even the X-truck, so
there is quite a bit of heat sink if it ever were to generate that much heat.

Tom