On Tuesday, February 14, 2012 02:51:18 PM Peter Blodow did opine:

> Gene, how about drilling those holes, if you don't need more resolution
> than that. Even simpler: punch them with a paper (document) punch (don't
> know what the term in english is) in a straight piece of sheet metal.
>
> Peter

I thought of that Peter, but round holes would require more precision in
mounting each of the slot detectors.  So a hole turned into a slot, if I
get it all corralled, will allow the interrupters to be mounted on a pcb
which can be mounted fairly rigidly, in essentially a straight line, with
A/B hitting two slots (actually about every 3rd slot since they are closer
than the opto stuff can be) and the Z interrupter, sitting the same spacing
away so its effective radii is larger and catches the outer index slot
only, about .1" outboard of the main slot circle, should give something
that is workable, and a whole lot more rigidly mounted than making 3 teeny
little pcb holders that can get knocked out of whack screwing the timing so
much easier.

The idea is to set them perhaps 50 thou proud of the pcb, get the whole
thing mounted, and with my dual trace scope, bend them a few thou sideways
to arrive at a near perfect quadrature output signals giving 2 degree
accuracy for the A/B signals.  When that is done, then the bolts thru the
opto's ears can be snugged up to firm up the position.  The mounting holes
in the board are oversize to allow this few thou of fudging.

Then the Z signal logic s/b set to detect only an edge detected for a given
A/B logic condition, and it will then be adjusted a few thou to put that
edge dead in the center of the A/B condition defined.  I haven't asked how
to do that yet in the hal file, but I figure its likely only a line or 3 of
hal code.

Baby steps. :)

The document punches here would make holes about 5x the size needed, so
that would not be a workable solution given that I only have a small
section of a circle whose radii is 2.3" at best to contain this.  Perhaps
2.3" of pcb length, height determined by the bearing retainer nuts to face
of spindle housing, approximately 1.1" in this case.  The encoder wheel
itself will be trapped between the spindle bearing lock buts.

Cheers, Gene
Karl's version of Parkinson's Law:  Work expands to exceed the time alloted
it.