On 16 Feb 2012, at 14:29, Erik Friesen <e...@aercon.net> wrote:

> How feasible is it to use the mesa 5i25 in a similar way to the universal
> stepper controller?  IE.. Use hardware step generation + encoder feedback?

Just a bare 5i25, or using daughter cards?
You ought to be able to do it with a 7i76 and a 7i77 (that's the stepper board
_and_ the servo board at the same time.  Otherwise you would need a special
firmware I think. 25 pins might be a bit few, though there is a second 25 pin
header too. The dedicated daughter boards use serial-connected hardware for the
extra IO pins with only the stepgens, encoders and pwms wired direct back to
the 5i25.