On Wednesday, February 22, 2012 04:09:51 PM andy pugh did opine:

> On 22 February 2012 20:30, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > So, how does one chemically blacken brass?
>
> Google says:
> http://www.modelshipwrightsdatabase.com/Articles/MetalBlackening.pdf

>From the images there, it appears most of them do leave an excessive amount
of gloss on the surfaces.  I wonder if an initial cleaning in something
like Tarnex, which leaves a dull, non glossy, fairly white surface behind
might help?  It works great on cartridge cases, then the shine is restored
by an overnight session in my Lyman vibrator with a corn cob and rouge
carrying media, which I don't do because that media has now been well
contaminated with case lube.  I don't want the gloss anyway.

I'll go see if Jerry's has any of that G96 brass black this evening, it
looks about as foolproof as any.

Cheers, Gene
I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't
know.
                -- Mark Twain