On Thursday, February 23, 2012 02:31:08 AM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> > Lampblack would be fine IF one could find a binder as effective as the
> > krylon that wasn't glossy at low incident angles.  A case where thin
> > is good, but I expect trying to mill the outside 1/3" of it down to
> > the point where knife edge diffraction was the major effect, would be
> > pretty frustrating.
>
> Might be possible to mill it with a ball-end mill so that the
> sides were not parallel to the light path.
>
> Looks cool, anyway!
>
> Jon

Thanks Jon.  I thought of that, but by the time I had it clamped down on a
sacrificial slab of HDPE, it was bowed up in the middle by 13 thou or so.
Unless I mapped the cut depth carefully, the slot width would have been the
largest variable.  To get fully thru a 32 thou thick sheet, I actually had
to carve 47 thou deep on the final pass.  Theoretically I imagine there is
a timing error from that, but it should get lost in the noise in spite of
it.  I thought about reducing the slot count from 45 to 36, but that would
stretch the edges to 2.5 degrees apart.  If I can't get a good duty cycle
and quadrature pattern out of this one after its blacked, then I supposed
I'll make another with fewer slots just to widen the dark bars, but we'll
see how close to ideal this one is first.  I sure wish I had more diameter
available though.  That would make things a lot easier.

Cheers, Gene
Mankind is poised midway between the gods and the beasts.
                -- Plotinus