Gene,
blacking of brass is easy. Get yourself a small quantity (a piece of
fingernail size is enough) of potassium sulfide, K²S, from the pharmacy,
commonly called liver of sulphur and sold cheaply (in Germany)  for
medical bath purposes, for instance, as skin cleaner for teenager (how
about that?). Dissolve a very small amount in a lot of water, so the
solution is only faintly brown, not more. Put in your degreased
workpiece and watch it under good lighting. It will turn brown and then
turn black, at which point you take it out quickly and rinse it under
running tap water with scrubbing (old toothbrush). If it seems to be
insufficiently black, repeat.

The goal is to produce a very thin layer of copper sulfide on the
surface (dead black). Longer application will cause the layer  to become
too thick and to peel off in tiny flakes or sheets. Depending on the
alloy, It may help to etch the brass at first with hot citric acid,
formic acid, acetic acid (concentrated vinegar), coffee percolator
cleaner (sulfonic acid) or some other organic acid to remove the zinc on
the surface, making the copper come out on the surface so the brass
appears reddish.

No finishing afterwards as this will make the surface more dense and
reflective.

Best regards
Peter Blodow