On Saturday, February 25, 2012 11:01:46 AM gene heskett did opine:

> Does anybody know what the attachment size limit is?  The absolute
> smallest I can get out of GIMP is 70k, attached.  But ugly, but you get
> the idea if it comes through.

Thank you Mr. Moderator.  And now I know, from the reject msg, the server
limit is 90k, which that image, once base64'd, was slightly over.  Unseen
in that snapshot is a slight timing width glitch in one pulse of the 39
that make one revolution, the result of the outer end of the index slot
being about 2 thou wider than the main slots are, so I need to move the
index slot to a position between 2 main slots, and increase the inner
diameter of the main slots by perhaps 20 thou at the same time as it was
difficult to get main slot noise out of the index output unless the outer
edge of the wheel was audibly touching the center web of that opto device.
With very careful adjustment, this one works.

Pix of this disk attached, much 'cleaner' carving this time, no blackening
needed apparently.  I get these pix from my old scanner and they are only
about 22k before being base64'd.

I have to open up the head of the mill and replace much of the nylon
howlers in there, the key slots in the hubs are pretty wobbled out, about
1/4 turn of play in the drive these days.  I will investigate the
possibility of hiding another similar encoder in there at the same time.
I'll not toss the old ones too quickly as its probably 99% in the gear on
the spindle shaft & it might be feasable to cut a steel hub with fingers
filling the casting webs of the old gear, which s/b a forever fix for that,
forever being whatever it takes to outlast me. :)

Would there be any interest in my making up any more of these opto
assemblies once I get what I need done?  Say at $75 a copy so its a wheel
that wouldn't need to be invented again?  The opto's are on .400" centers &
once adjusted, s/b pretty darned stable.

I've temporarily replaced my router with a Buffalo Nfinity Hi-power running
dd-wrt, which means my web page is offline until I figure out how to ssh
into it and fix the port forwarding, it seems the help menu, which is not a
close able menu, is sitting on top of the enable checkbox in the gui for
port forwarding setups.  If anyone asks, I can re-install the old one for a
day or 2, which should restore that.

Cheers, Gene
"Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow you may work."