Ian,
a couple of years ago I made a whole drawer full of gears, 30 to 240
teeth,  for precisely the same purpose, but as I own a tiny combination
mill (called UWG, google it), unfortunalely delivered without gears, but
set up as CNC, I milled them with a stepper powered dividing head and
home made software (EMC2 was not known to me then). It needed about 10
to 20 seconds per tooth, dry cutting, depending on the width of the
blank and how fast I run it, not counting machine setup time if it was
set up for a different purpose before.

I have the advantage that I can work with any material, so I made long
lasting gears out of very tough hydraulic ram steel (containing
molybdenum). With aluminum, brass or even plastic I think I could make
it down to 5 sec. per tooth easily.

I tried the same principle on my large mill after this and made some of
the missing gears for my large lathe, just employing larger mechanical
equipment, but same software and stepper driver.

With the same setup it would be easy to make helical or bevel gear
teeth, only by changing the 90° axes of the dividing head on the machine
table.

By the way, if you set up your lathe screws with electronic drives and
EMC2, you wouldn't need any changeable gears at all anymore...

Still, a 3D printer is a fascinating thing...

Peter