On 2/27/2012 6:15 PM, Ian W. Wright wrote:
> Hi Kent,
>
> No, on this one I'm using the stock Arduino electronics - it
> was easier to set up and it works fine. I'm using the Marlin
> firmware and Repetier host software on an Ubuntu 11.x box
> (with Mono to allow the Repetier to work in the linux
> environment). I'm also using Slic3r to post-process the STL
> files. On the Arduino Mega 1280 I have a RAMPS 1.2 board
> with Pololu drivers running the 5 motors and I'm using a
> home-made heated bed and a cooling fan. So far I'm only
> printing in PLA as that is all that is readily available in
> the UK but its a good hard and robust plastic and is
> relatively cheap to buy.

Thanks, Ian.

My hardware chain is nearly the same and while I was looking at
different software components, they are easy enough to mix-and-match
until I get what I like. I figured PLA is best for the scouts both
because of its cost and because it's easier to work with.

> I started building the printer really just as an experiment
> as I have been fascinated with 3d printing for several years
> now - in fact, my 4-year old grandson helped build the frame
> and is now quite adept at wielding a spanner and turning
> nuts in the right direction!! However, I have been very
> impressed with what the printer is capable of and I have
> used it several times to make jigs and tools for odd jobs.

It sounds like my motivation is similar to yours. I'd been following the
rapid prototyping developments for years. Since I knew a lot about 3D
CAD, I was asked to kibitz with a group that was experimenting with 3D
printing not long before I retired from NIST. Using a service bureau,
they got some terrific sintered parts made for an experimental
apparatus, based on their SolidWorks models. I was hooked when I saw the
result. The cost of the first part was commensurate with the avoided
cost of our machinist, the central shop, or an outside bureau turning
out the same complicated part on lathes and mills, and the cost for
follow-on parts was lower. (Our machinist, by the way, was hugely
enthusiastic. He got to learn SolidWorks, got to see how the parts were
made, and subsequently got to work with the CNC folks in the central
shop. It was a big win for him.)

Your experience with your grandson reinforces my opinion.

My grandkids range in age from 7 to 11. They've done some simple
woodworking with their parents but are still too young, I believe, for
metal-cutting machine tools.

I think they're ripe for RepRap. They can participate in building the
machine, as your grandson has. They can design 3D thingies that the
machine can make on its own (and without exceeding their attention
span!). As they gain experience they can start thinking of things to
make that they can actually use. I want to turn them into makers.

Regards,
Kent