Rather than inline the carriage drive screw, with will leave the motor
hanging out quite a ways on the left end of this lathe, I could save about
3" if I mounted the motor to the bed on another piece of 1/4" alu plate,
such that a gear on the motor shaft would engage a gear on the lead screw.

I bought a set of steel change gears before I got the bug to put motors on
this thing, so it looks as if I can drive a 65T on the lead screw with a
35T on the motor, an 8 wire 425 that says 5 amps on it, but I suspect that
is a per coil, one at a time rating.  I am only using about 2.40 amps on
the Z axis for the mill and it certainly seems to be enough when the coils
are wired in series.  I can put 155 lbs on a bath scale with it, which is a
heck of an improvement over that same motor driving the old, back of the
post screw and tapping the motor out at 5 lbs showing on the same scale.

Anyway, is there such a 'hub' I can buy, or am I doomed to try & make it?

Thanks guys.

Cheers, Gene
In those days he was wiser than he is now -- he used to frequently take
my advice.
                -- Winston Churchill