On Wednesday, March 07, 2012 07:04:48 AM Kenneth Lerman did opine:

> Hi Gene,
>
> Remember that a variable must be defined (assigned to) before it is
> used. In this case, before means at run time; not necessarily lexically.
>
> I don't know if that is the problem, but it is a place to look.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ken

Rather than fight with that problem, I just stripped off the second loop
for a finish pass, and put conditional initialization at the top of the
file , so if [#<_pass_no> lt 1]
it sets the roughing values, and if [#<_pass_no> gt 1] it sets things up
for the finish pass.

With pass_no = 0 it worked just fine, but I ran out of luck when I quit
linuxcnc, that was probably the 6th or so time I had run it and quit it,
and the box locked up tight, I had to dress and go out and power cycle it
to even get this machine to open this email message to the list, locked up
ssh sessions tend to do that.  I have no clue where the lockup is occurring
other than its a quiting time total crash.  Not even the hardware reset
button works.  I thought I had fixed that with the bios update, but now I'm
not so sure.

But its rebooted again, so now to test it with pass_no = 2.  I am only
logged into it with ssh -Y, not even locally from its own keyboard.

Looks good, run time 20.55 hours though.  And I have found a way to see the
taper of the inside of the circle.  Look at the Y view, blow it way up &
slide the preview to the right so I can see the ghosting of the z motions,
and the taper is pretty easily seen.  So it looks like I may have usable
code.  I wonder if that run time estimate takes into account that it checks
for air cuts as the taper grows, and if the radius has expanded into air,
it skips the cut and the loop marches to the end of that iteration of the z
pass without tool motion?

There may be a newer version on master-rt, this one is
2.6.0-pre0-2650-gea84cd9 that is crashing every 5-15 invocations as it
quits.  I get the impression that if I don't "run" the code I am
previewing, it lasts longer between crashes.  Perhaps that could be a clue?

Cheers & thanks Kenneth, Gene
<james> abuse me.  I'm so lame I sent a bug report to debian-devel-changes
        -- Seen on #Debian