Dave, you have apoint there.
I'm speaking now strictly as an amateur CNC user. Of course, making one
or a couple of parts is much quicker manually than using CNC. But there
are lots of parts you couldn't possibly make by hand, and this is where
CNC comes in on the hobbyist level. Some examples:

Imagine fabricating spheric hollow surfaces with a radius of, say, about
6 meters, in a 16 inch cast iron blank, with a precision in radius of
about 1 mm. I needed these for mirror and lens grinding. How would you
turn something like this on a purely manual lathe? Install a radius bar
across the house?

Another example: milling spur or other gears. I tried to make a single
odd gear for my change gear set on its own machine. I have a wonderful
little high precision dividing head. I had to turn the crank wheel some
odd numbers of some degrees and umpteen minutes after each cut, and
after the tenth I made a minute error so the blank  was lost. Then I
decided to set up a CNC system first, and soon made drawers full of
perfect gears in short time. I repeated this on the large mill to make
change gears in modulus 2 for my large lathe too. There would have been
no way to do this, especially not in reasonable time, without digital
control.

A third example: I was making printed circuit boards for the stepper
units of the 3 axis minimill I am building. I made the boards with
eagle, etched them and had them drilled within about a minute. 3 times
300 holes would take a long time positioning and drilling by hand....

You don't have to be a professional to profitably use a CNC system, and
I'm glad there is something like LinuxCNC or EMC2, as you like.
Peter Blodow