On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 11:04 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> And that man page is as obtuse as any I've seen.

Rather than hammering that out by hand, use the remote desktop built
right into Ubuntu?

On the Ubuntu machine attached to the mill, clicky:

System -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop

Then select:

Allow other users to view your desktop
Allow other users to control your desktop

Set up the Security section to suit your paranoia.

On the Ubuntu machine attached to your Comfy Chair, clicky:

Applications -> Internet -> Remote Desktop Viewer

It'll show you a list of what's available on your network, which should
include the milling machine. Clicky to select, feed in a password if you
set it up that way, blow that window up to full screen, and you're
there...

Works for me, anyhow. I do pretty nearly all the setup & fiddling from
the Comfy Chair for both the Sherline & Thing-O-Matic, then drop down to
the Basement Lab to actually start building things.

Not quite so manly as mud-wrestling with X, but ...

--
Ed
http://softsolder.com