From: Viesturs L?cis <viesturs.la...@gmail.com> Subject: Re: [Emc-users]
> This will run in a little off-topic by me...
> You can run heavy duty machines with steppers, but then the
> performance will suffer - You will have to leave big safety margin in
> terms of load to motors (either move slower or use way much larger
> motors) as currently there is no safe and reliable way to recover "on
> the fly" from lost steps.
> Last year I had a discussion with Festo people in Hannouver Messe
> about this topic - they are offering pseido-servo control system,
> which consists of:
> 1) stepper motors
> 2) encoders on motors for feedback
> 3) controller, in which error in feedback loop is fixed in classical
> manner - add throttle, when motor is falling behind
>
> I managed to left their representative without any arguments as this
> approach totally sucks - if the load on motor is large enough for it
> to start losing steps, then there is no sense to increase the RPM - it
> will continue to lose steps.
> It has been proposed on this mailing list that completely new approach
> would required - all the remaining joints should slow down so that the
> one with lost steps remains in the correct place with respect to
> other.
> I guess some special drive, that could increase the current for a
> short time to increase motor torque, would allow to use the classical
> approach, but I will leave that for people, who actually do understand
> something about stepper drives and the principles, how they work.
Seems to me the only way to practically set up a stepper system with
feedback would be to run linuxcnc as if it were driving servos, but set
up the stepgen as velocity mode, then when a feedback error occurs
instead of increasing the velocity signal, it would feed back to the
slider that controls percentage of commanded rate, and slow down the
commanded rate, while lighting an obnoxious light on the front panel to
alert you that you might have a tool that's about to snap.
   I don't know the inner workings well enough to say this is possible,
but it seems like it should be with linuxcnc, and if someone were to
implement it and document it, that would be a feather in the cap of
linuxcnc.