>> 10 9
>> 8 7
>> 6 5
>> 4 3
>> 2 1
>>
>> With pin 1 having a square pad.
>>
>> That's what I think too. The square
>And for me it's
>
>6 - encoder 5V (and it's really 5V even with encoder connected)
>7 - A (it is near 2.3V when moving the encoder, 0.6 or 4.2 when stopped -
>looks like 50% duty cycle voltage)
>8 - B (similar to A)
>9 - Z (always 4.2V)
>10 - GND (0V)

Are you looking at the top of the board or the bottom?
I believe the header should be

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8
9 10

from the top of the board.  6 is +5, 7 is A, 8 is B, 9 is index,
and 10 is ground (as you observed).  If you have the pinout
reversed, though, then they are all connected to the wrong
pins.

I'm anxious for you to get beyond this encoder problem, because
I'm eager to learn about driving linear motors from LinuxCNC and 7I43's.
I hope to be doing that myself in a few weeks, with some small linear
motors I'm building.

-- Ralph