I have heard AVR's are easier.  I think once you get used to the complete
picture, none are that much harder than the others.  I know AVR has had
some issues with their supply chain.  Microchip doesn't do much
handholding, I think their bread and butter is supplying the automotive.  I
have their tools, so I tend to stick with their lineup.  I have been
tempted with AVR's though.