Andy,

> Those are the docs for a different object, I think.

Those docs are for the gtk.Filechooser interface that is implemented by the
gtk.FilechooserButton.  You can use any of the methods or properties associated
with the gtk.Filechooser in the callback.

> OK, I will try that. I didn't see get_filename as a function/method for the
> filechooserbutton in the docs.

If the file-set signal for your filechooserbutton is named
on_filechooserbutton_file_set your callback would be:

    def on_filechooserbutton_file_set(self, widget):
        self.gcode_filename = widget.get_filename()
        print "Yippee!"

> From Googling I get the impression that nobody else has ever made this
> widget work, and that it is in fact entirely useless.

I don't know about the filter, but the filechooser button works fine.

Rogge