gene heskett wrote:
> On Sunday, May 06, 2012 09:15:18 PM Jon Elson did opine:
>

>> you should be able to set up X and
>> Z offsets for each tool in the tool table.
>>

> That would require I get at least 3 or 4 more QC toolholders.  But then I
> am reminded that the QC post must be rotated in order to present the tool
> to the work at the correct angle, which is only as repeatable as eyeballs
> can make it.
Well, if you don't use all the preset offsets, then you lose a great
advantage of
the lathe CNC system.  Also, doing it all manually, you have to remember
what
tool is #1 in the tool table, etc.
>   OTOH, I do need more toolholders.  I could make a setting
> tool that would fix the reach out of each tool pretty consistent.  But
> before I tie a few hundred more up in holders for this flimsy post, my
> first inclination is to ditch the whole compound slide since linuxcnc can
> handle that rather nicely, and put a bigger, far more rigid QC post
> directly on the X cross-slide.  Something made out of real steel as opposed
> to the crappy, flexible alu this QC is made out of.

Yeah, and then pretty soon you'll be lusting after an 8-station
Barruffaldi CNC tool turret on eBay!
> The thought also crosses my mind to mount a microswitch for homing that
> could be dropped into a locator on the carriage, but that would require a
> touchbar 3 inches long that was exactly on axis.  The alignment to keep it
> on axis while allowing it to swing out of the way, or be "unplugged" to get
> it out of the way would be fairly stringent though

You can set your approximate Z work position by placing a tool in the
way of the part and then
pushing the bar through the chuck (or collet) until it hits the cutter.
That's the "poor man's
bar puller".

Jon