On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 09:39:27PM -0500, Kim Kirwan wrote:
> I have continued this subject in its own thread, because I also
> think that Andy's proposal is a good one, for the reason that
> it would make it very easy to make minor adjustments by
> using the built-in math functions:
>
>                  (user starts touch-off dialog)
> 12.3456          (appears in touch-off dialog)
> 12.3456 - 0.001  (user makes minor adjustment w/ math)
> 12.3446          (after user clicks "accept" or whatever)
>                  (user clicks "done" and dialog closes)

Am I understanding your proposal correctly that 12.3456 is the initial
entry in the touch-off dialog because 12.3456 is the current value of
the selected axis?

If that's what you're proposing, then I sure can see how that makes it
easier to do your differential math.

However it also has the effect that the default action of touch off is
to make no change (hit End, dialog appears, hit Enter, coordinate does
not change).

Currently, this default action, when no change is made, is to set
the new axis value to zero.

I must say that most often what I do with touch off is to accept the
default zero value because I want to set the system origin where the
tool is.  I also frequently type +/- an edge finder or probe tip
radius.

In some cases, though, like for lathe X, I am always touching off the
tool and very rarely would want the zero value there.  The value I
type will always be what my micrometer says (or that number followed
by /2 if the gcode is in radius mode).  But for lathe Z I would
usually want the zero.

I think current value and zero are the two initial values that make
the most sense, but I don't know which one is useful MORE of the time.
I suspect this is a matter of opinion and/or practice and opinion
will be split.

If someone sees a pattern that AXIS can use to get this right, or a
clean, simple, discoverable and keyboardable way to make the user
interface handle both cases, please speak up.

Chris