I have seen recently a local machine shop "throw away" an Index Vertical
Mill with a dead control for $300 on Craigslist.  I was the second
caller....  THe mill was identical to one sold on government liqudators for
$2,500 several months ago with a speared control cabinet.

According to the half owner, the unit was in excellent condition but they
just couldn't figure out how to deal with the constantly dyingg control.

IMHO, many machine shop owners with older CNC setups just don't take the
time to learn the electronics and keep up in developments that might aid
thier cause.  Its thier capital they are eventually giving to another for
pennies on the dollar.