primitive clock gears were cut from wood by hand, and early lenses were figured
from glass in a similar way.  i dont know if it would work in this case, but i
read about making precise worm gears for telescope mounts starting with a more
or less rough notching of the gear followed by a 'running in' of the mating
surfaces with abrasive fluid until the final form was achieved.  apparently
this is also a way to lap a screw and a long split nut into a zero backlash
form.