maybe that is a meta cnc approach, based in scripting from the os platform?

there are other things that could happen at that level also, it seems.  for
example:  if the mdi command line had the function as a recptacle from some
external source.  fanuc controllers have a mode called 'tape' that was
originally for use with magnetic tape reels for program files before ram was
easy.  the tape mode can take a serial input from an external source - tape
drive, punch card reader, or other, like a pc.  it is called drip feeding.

i've seen discussion of something X having to do with linux, but dont know what
it is.  remote control and data pipes maybe?