On 23 May 2012 06:35, Claude Zervas <cla...@utlco.com> wrote:

> Just wondering if someone might know why LinuxCNC interprets the G04
> dwell command parameter as seconds instead of milliseconds?

The glib answer is "because that is how the programmer coded it". I
suspect that the G04 code has been unchanged for a long time.
A quick Google shows that some controllers use seconds and some use
milliseconds, and some let you choose. (And a mention appears on the
LinuxCNC Wiki of an Okuma controller that uses hundredths of seconds).

> Also, I think the G04 command should take X or P (or possibly U),
> where the X value is normally in seconds and the P value is normally
> milliseconds. LinuxCNC does not allow X values and will throw an error
> if it encounters one.

U and X can't be used as these are axis position commands.
LinuxCNC could be changed to accept an INI file setting to set the
time unists in much the same way as it is possible to set the linear
units, but I don't expect there is anyone queuing up to make that
change. If you fancy doint it yourself, though, perhaps you could get
a patch accepted.

> If anyone can clear this up I would be grateful. I'm writing an
> extension for Inkscape that generates G code and I'd like to make sure
> that its output is nominally correct.

I think that you will need to have different options for different CNC
controllers. (As all the other CAm packages do). Unfortunately the
G-code standard is not very standard.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.