On 5/23/2012 5:53 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> Unfortunately the
> G-code standard is not very standard.
Every information-representation standard I ever met was encumbered with
exceptions, variants, special cases. After all, they're written by
committees (on some of which I served, so I'm guilty too).

It's bad enough when the lifespan of the standard is less than the
lifespan of the committee members. Standards that live over generations
of committee members often end up looking like the proverbial camel (a
horse designed by a committee).

Even if the committee members try to write and maintain a "clean"
standard, all committees reach consensus by being vague, and vagueness
represents an opportunity for invention among implementers.

It's the nature of every vendor to want to stretch a standard to fit the
specific features of its product.

Regards,
Kent

PS- It's the nature of every sales rep to swear the product conforms to
whatever standard will close the deal, but that's another story.