On 5/30/2012 12:20 PM, Viesturs Lācis wrote:
> 2012/5/30 Kent A. Reed<kentallanr...@gmail.com>:
>> If you want really elegant DIY output, check out what's happening with
>> photo-initiated polymer resin-based printers, for example,
>> http://b9creator.com/
>>
> I have always wondered, what is the tensile strength of these
> plastics. Is there a place, where I could see some numbers?
> I mean both - this photo-initiated and also "traditional" heated printing.

Viesturs:

Such numbers seem hard to come by for the materials typically used in
DIY printers, such as PLA, ABS, and (at least experimentally) Nylon. I
suppose one could start with the bulk properties published in typical
materials handbooks (sorry, mine reverted to NIST when I retired) but
evaluation of the artifacts made from specific materials is probably
still necessary.

As for the photo-initiated resin, there's still more choices. Here's
what I was told by Michael Joyce, the b9creator guy, about his specific
resin in answer to my question "would these artifacts [like the Eiffel
Tower and lattice ball shown on the b9creator site] survive being
handled by 'tweens"?

"The tower can take some twisting (maybe 30 degrees from base to top).
The spheres can be thrown against walls/floor and they just bounce.
Probably not as strong as abs, but pretty good for resin."

Like I said, DIY printing is all in its infancy. Some the commercial
sites do offer more information but not enough, in my opinion.

Regards,
Kent