On 5/30/2012 11:30 AM, gene heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:06:22 PM John Thornton did opine:
>
>> A subroutine using a coordinate system rotate might be the simplest
>> method. Establish the center of your disk as X and Y0 and do a G10 L2 R
>> between slots. Something like the following  partly tested code should
>> do the trick.
> I think I'm following this but let me ask some questions.
>
>> Position tool at safe point
>> #<current-r>  = 0
> I'd assume this starts at zero, where the current code starts at 360&
> counts down by 360/slots
Yes that starts at the normal rotation for the XY plain so your first
slot would be parallel to the X axis.

>> G10 L2 P1 R#<current-r>  (just to make sure in case of an abort)
> Yup.
>
>> o100 repeat [45]
> And this 45 is the number of slots?  Kewl.
Yes, the largest integer divisor I could find for 360 to avoid rounding
errors when adding to the current rotation.

>> Position tool at start of cut
>> Slot cutting
> Which is the calculate the cut and do it subroutine I assume?
Or you could just have the 8 or 10 lines of G code to move the bit down
and over and back up and over the number of times to cut the slot.
Simpler that way for such short code unless you just want to make it a
subroutine for practice.

>> Position tool at safe Z
>> G0 X0 Y0
> Once we are at the cutting position, the above seems like a time waster.
Try it in the sim without going to X0 and Y) before setting the
rotation... it's fun and amusing really. You need to be in the center
when you rotate or you end up with a spiral set of cuts.

>> #<current-r>  = [#<current-r>  + 8]
> And this '8' is actually the 360/slots?  Kewl.
Yep 8 degrees between slots. 8 x 45 = 360

>> G10 L2 P1 R#<current-r>
>> o100 endrepeat
>> M2
> This would appear to be a rather lot of time running back and forth between
> the X0Y0 position and the center of each slot.  Or am I seeing ghosts?
You  only go to the center to change the rotation as you want to rotate
about the center.

> To ease the stress on the bit, each incarnation of the call moves to the
> geometric center of the slot with z at the depth of the previous cut, then
> ramps from there down to the depth of the current cut at the inner, CW
> corner of the slot.  Then runs around the slot and goes back to SafeZ.
>
> It would definitely be an all in one solution though, printed for
> incorporation into what I have now as I believe it will nicely simplify
> things, many thanks John.
>
> Cheers, Gene

So for a single cut depth path I have 13 lines of G code to cut 45 slots
8 degrees apart. Add 8 or 10 more lines of G code for multiple depth
passes and your set. Don't like the shape of the slots easy to change as
the slot is done in one place in your G code.

Thanks
John