On Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:55:38 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> fritz wrote:
> > As an electrician, I should now interject that a neutral should only
> > be bonded at the point of distribution (the breaker panel or upstream
> > transformer).  Grounding a neutral anywhere else makes for strange
> > problems and stray currents on the ground.  People often falsely
> > assume electricity takes the path of least resistance - according to
> > Ohm's law, it follows ALL paths in a parallel circuit.
>
> But, in the special case of shifting the neutral from what is
> effectively a center grounded
> open delta to a 4-wire Wye service via an isolating transformer, you
> have to ground
> the center of the isolated Wye at the secondary of the isolating
> transformer.
>
> Jon

Actually, earth grounding it at the machine is probably is a bad idea,
however continuity to the house neutral is how I would do it, with a single
strand of 4 gage back to the neutral in the service entrance, in that
manner preserving the star topology of a good grounding system.  Ack the
NEC, there should be a pair of ground rods driven at least 6 feet apart,
more or less under the meter head and bonded to the neutral in the service
entrance, with not less than 8 gage solid copper conductors down to the
rods, one per rod.

Cheers, Gene
Coward, n.:
        One who in a perilous emergency thinks with his legs.