And to some extent, MOST plastic is recyclable.
We DONT do it, typically because it is (1) inconvenient, (2) un-economical

There are projects like the filabot (a kickstarter project) that is
coming up with a re-grinder and filament maker for personal use.

I look forward to the day that 'disposable' bottles are just tossed in a
hopper and 'recycled filament' comes out the other end (ok, the process
will be more than that for a while, but that is the long term goal)

If we don't use petrolium for plastics, we will use it for something else.
But I totally agree, if we can reduce our use, it is a better thing.