On Monday, June 11, 2012 12:08:24 PM andy pugh did opine:

> On 10 June 2012 19:52, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > If I wanted to buy some stock steel that carved just as well, or
> > perhaps even better, what alloy should I be ordering from one of
> > these online metal peddlers?
>
> I use a lot of what we call "Silver steel" in the UK, and I think you
> call "Drill Rod" in the US.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_steel
> I think it is approximately the same as the popular O1 tool steel.
> Being a tool steel is it strong in the annealed state, and can be
> easily hardened for more demanding uses.
> In the as-shipped state, it machines well.

Other than they centerless grind it for a precise size & surface when they
call it drill rod, which doubles the $$ asking, I was wondering if there
was more than a passing similarity there.  I'll see what I can find that is
affordable.

Thanks Andy.

Cheers, Gene
A formal parsing algorithm should not always be used.
                -- D. Gries