Gene,

I use 4140 or 41L40 for parts that need a good finish or have some
toughness. 1018 is softer so you get a poor finish with light cuts.

Here is a nice chart about different carbon steels, alloy steels and
tool steels that we have on this side of the pond.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-alloy-steel/=hxl3ij

John