2012/6/14 Mark Wendt <wendt.m...@gmail.com>:

> True, but who's to say that LinuxCNC won't eventually be supported on the
> 64 bit OS?  Eventually, you won't be able to buy a 32 bit machine except
> from the antique store.

At least for PCs I think there is no way to get 32bit-only capable
system. All the new CPUs are 64 bit and they are backwards compatible
with 32 bit, so I am sure that this backwards compatibility will
remain, so 32 bit OSes will be there as long as anyone will maintain
them.

> /tmp is already in RAM when your system is created.  There's also a
> /var/tmp too.

Not really. This the first point in my optimize-for-SSD list:
1. Keep temporary data in RAM

# Edit your /etc/fstab file. Add the following lines.
tmpfs /var/log tmpfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

AFAIK Lucid does not do that by default