On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Viesturs Lācis <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2012/6/14 John Thornton <bjt...@gmail.com>:
> > I don't know if that is the ultimate solution but it does work and so
> > does popping out one memory chip from the 525.
>
> John, can You explain, why do You use so much of RAM?
> I put 2 GB in my machines only because I do not have swap partition on
> SSDs.
> AFAIK LinuxCNC is happy with 1 GB, so I have another GB just in case.
> I had Lucid on my parent's PC with 512 MB RAM. It used to freeze up
> from time to time. Took me a while to realize to look at the usage of
> RAM and then I realized that I forgot to create swap partition during
> install (that pc has traditional hdd).
>
> --
> Viesturs
>
> If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
> http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto

RAM is cheap, and you really can't have too much memory.  Well, except in
odd ball cases like John's where Ubuntu does funky things.  I'd rather have
too much than not enough memory.  You can also use RAM as a fast file
system, though it's volatile so I wouldn't want to try and save anything
there.

Mark