Andy,
way back in my school time, curriculum makers detected that mass and
force are different things. Before, forces were expressed in mass units,
i.e., kilogramms (greek: chilioi = thousand, gramma = weight), and
sometimes called kilogrammforce, which gives roughly identical figures
for computations as long as we are on earth. To signify the difference,
though, these force units were then called kiloponds (abbreviated kp,
latin: pondus = weight).

To comply with international SI units, they abandoned this unit soon
(right after I had to learn it in school) and introduced the Newton as
the official unit of force. Using Newton's law, it is defined by the
force that is needed to accelerate one kilogram of mass from zero to the
speed of one meter per second during one second (1 m / s / s) and as
such independent of local gravity. Using the average gravity constant of
our planet, it turns out that one Newton is approx. 1/10 of a kilopond
or kilogrammforce (exactly 1 N = 1 / 9.81 kp = 0.102 kp). Newton himself
never explained the difference between heavy mass and inertia of mass.

For engineering purposes, and to maintain the same figures and values
they were used to, the old mechanical engineers used metric prefixes and
made up the DekaNewton = ten Newtons, abreviated DN (greek: deka = ten,
abbrev. D ). One DekaNewton = 1.02 kp, so, for the time being, they
could keep using those old handbooks and their figures of material
properties. It was, though, easy to confuse with the abbreviation for
"nominal diameter", DN, so this was not successful on the long run.

To express angular momentum, we have to multiply force by the length of
the lever, i.e. one meter. So we arrive at the unit DNm = 10 Nm ^= 1
kpm, and the world is in almost perfect order again.

So far, this was all based on the kilogramm-meter-second system (KMS).
In physics, they used another widely used system which gave handier
figures for small scale considerations, the gramm - centimeter - second
system (CGS). In this system, the unit of force is one dyn = 1 gramm
divided by 1 cm / s / s. 1 N = 100 000 dyn, 1 Nm = 100 000 dyn m, 1 dyn
= 1/100 000 N. The world was a hundred thousand times smaller.

So, to make a long story short, I think your unit of kdm could mean a
thousand dyn times meter, extremely unusual in technology and
engineering science:
1 kdm = 1000 x 1/100 000 Nm = 1/100 Nm. Easy to confuse this dyn unit
with dezi- = 1/10!

Now, your dad must have a pretty old car since this cgs system was
abandoned in 1978. Are you sure that the above explanation is right, or
is it rather the kiloDekaNewtonMeter? What is the value on that rating
plate?

Best regards from

Peter Blodow