>>By the way, how come that in this mailing list everybody speaks in
inches - you were writing about the metric revolution?<<

That is the really goofy thing.. the end result was that we are now about half
and half, english and metric.

After the big metric push back in the late 70's, the car companies went fully
metric by about the mid to late 80's, but many US made goods are still english.

In my tool chest I have a full set of english and metric sockets which gets
quite bulky.

The said, if I want to buy english nuts and bolts, I can buy them by them in
bulk pound (weight measure) in grades 2-8 at a local tractor/farm equipment
supply store.

If I want to buy metric bolts and nuts locally I have to either buy them from
an industrial supply store (limited hours) or buy them one at a time at a price
which can be 3-4 times the bulk price of similar english fasteners.

So the use of english fasteners in the US is reinforced by the availability of
cheap and available english fasteners.   Ironically most of those fasteners are
made in Asia or China.

The metric system has some issues..   Buying a 2x4 which is 10 feet long and
specifying that in millimeters seems crazy.  Pipe fittings would be ok for
diameter but if I want to but a piece of 2" pipe which is 21 feet long,
specifying 51 mm in diameter and 6.x meters long seems totally counter
intuitive.  I guess the advantage is that fractions become non-existent which
would be a big improvement.

Dave