Scott Hasse wrote:
> All-
>
> I've been attempting to get a simple low-cost frequency-based analog input
> to LinuxCNC using an LM331 voltage-to-frequency chip for measuring
> temperature inputs from thermistors (as part of my RAMPS board parallel
> port adapter I mentioned in a different thread).  The good news is that I
> have that basically working and will provide a documented circuit once I
> get the bugs worked out.  Interestingly, when I use the software encoder
> hal component in counter mode, I get a lot more variance in the velocity
> than I would expect.
Yeah, the velocity is jumping up and down about 200 counts from sample
to sample!
>   In my test cases, the pulse rate is very stable, the
> pulse frequency is low enough that the parallel port input is capturing
> every pulse, and the encoder.0.count is going up linearly as I would
> expect.
No, it actually is NOT going up all that linearly, it just is at a small
enough scale that
it looks MOSTLY linear.  I see clear artifacts that correspond to the
jumps in the
velocity trace.

I think there may be some noise or reflections that are causing it to
count several
times on each proper edge.  If the pulse rate is regular, then the
velocity should
be regular, also, with only a +/- one count fluctuation.  Are you
running the encoder
component's update-counters task in the base thread?  If not, it will
not be able to
handle more than about 1/2 the servo thread rate of encoder pulses.

Jon