Scott Hasse wrote:
> John is correct.  My logging could be more clear.  The "time between" is
> the since the last rising edge of the input pulse as detected by the update
> function of the encoder running in the base thread.  The "counts between"
> is the number of base thread runs since the last rising edge input pulse.
> The time goes with the count of runs directly below it.  For the sample Jon
> referenced, I believe the the two data points are:
>
> 40 runs in 796760 ns = 19919 ns/run
> 60 runs in 1195140 ns = 19919 ns/run
>
> The 1035788 ns time is actually from 52 runs, also = 19919 ns/run

OK, I admit I didn't read the code, so I made wrong assumptions.  Well,
then, if this isn't
thread jitter, then the pulse source must be quite irregular.  Or else,
the device reading
the input signal is pretty imprecise in detecting it.
> Granted, this is the time passed into the update function as the period,
> not an actual system time, but I think that shows there is very little (if
> any) thread timing jitter.  There is absolutely variance there, but the
> data I have would seem to point toward an unstable input signal (or somehow
> a significant amount of random variance being introduced somewhere between,
> which would be very odd), but it would also be odd for my input signal to
> vary based on the way I am generating the signal.  I can confirm all that
> once I get back in a week or so.

It will be interesting to find out what the cause of this is, but if the
test signal is no good, then
the test doesn't answer any questions.

Jon