On Sunday 05 August 2012 18:27:24 a...@conceptmachinery.com did opine:

> Hi
> I ask similar question before and now more narrow one
>
> In EMC2 -from the disc-- already program for 3 axis --X Y Z.
> Need plug in drive.
> Need plug in AC servomotor.
> Need tune the AC servomotor and machine ready to work.
>
> That is how i build my machine.
> Because new release of EMC2 --
> Question:
> Is there are similar part in EMC2---to X Y Z axis --for the spindle
> motor?
> What i am asking is that is there part in EMC2 where i can plug in
> amplifier for spindle motor, spindle motor and after tune-up the spindle
> motor?
> The same way as plug in amplifier and motor to each of axis X Y Z.
> Many spindle motor have gear box, so need a part that will send signal
> to solenoid that will change gear.
>
> Thanks
> aram

There are quite a few ways to skin that cat Aram.

My mill is a toy, an HF micro mill, with (originally) a two speed knob that
ran the gear shift, which could I imagine be converted to a solenoid
control, but never have.  It was also equipt with a 200 watt DC motor with
a speed control pot.  However, all that was contained in a drawer in the
side of the gearcase, so any attempt to lube the nylon gears resulted in
flying grease being deposited on the electronics.

So when I put the spindle under linuxcnc control, I left the shattered fuse
holder and reversing switch behind and mounted that controller card in a
large radio shack project box, bought a PMDX-106 card to translate the pwm
signal from linuxcnc into an equivalent analog signal that could be used to
replace the original speed pot. The PMDX-106 opto isolates that because the
controlling pot on all of these things I have run into so far, is at the
hot side of the AC power.  All in the same project box powered by a 1 amp
wall wart.

I purchased the extra manual speed control version and am glad I did as
that allows me to control it manually too, for both directions, either from
linuxcnc using m3 for CW and M4 for CCW rotation of the spindle. M5 of
course stops it.  Or I can do it by hand from the controlling switch and
pot on the edge of the PMDX-106.

The OEM VS card in the micro mill is very high gain, holding the set speed
within 1 or 2% until it blows the fuse.  Since I don't have feedback in the
mills spindle from an encoder, nor do I use the PID module, there is not a
way to tell emc the motor is about to stall or blow a fuse.  So on the
mill, I have a small bridge in series with the motor, and its output drives
a 0-15 volt meter but without the voltage multiplier resistor, so it
effectively is a 0-1.5 amp meter.  As the speed isn't much of an indicator
of loading, I watch the meter and shoot for about .75 amps when doing what
that little mill calls a roughing cut.  I did 2 or 3 other tricks with the
relays for direction (with which I control some DPTD icecubes to do the
real work), like a 20 ohm 20 watt resistor is dropped across the motor when
its turned off, so spindle stop time from full speed in perhaps a long
second.  With the M5, G4p2, m4 in my gcode, so I can stop and reverse it
from the gcode, but have never needed to do so.  If I ever fit an encoder,
I could do rigid tapping or thread cutting.

The PMDX-106 is pretty decent, seems to have a very linear speed response
in close enough to real time for anything I have wanted to do.  Compared to
other such cards I have tried, it is hands down the winner.  Yes its more
than the 'other' controller, but many times more capable IMO.  No
surprises, it Just Works(TM).  I think in the future, my lathe, which does
have an encoder with feedback on it, will work noticeably better when I
install one of them.

Cheers, Gene
I often quote myself; it adds spice to my conversation.
                -- G. B. Shaw