On Jul 27, 2012, at 10:10 AM, Jon Elson wrote:

>> Not to mention no need for support material.
>>
> Not true.  In fact, that is about the only drawback to the DLP system,
> is there is no
> way to make a model with a different (soluble) support material.  There
> are certainly
> some models that have separable parts or gaps in the parts that could
> use a support material.
> Proper layout of the build can sometimes overcome this by building at an
> angle.

Hi Jon,

I guess i should have said that it requires less support material since the
fluid is there to "support" the area as it is cured. In other words, each layer
is buoyant - unlike the plastic extrusion printers.

> The other drawback is the fixed number of pixels on the projector.  A
> guy in England
> is working on using the spinning mirror from a laser printer, a powerful
> blue diode
> laser and a carriage to scan the raster down the vat to make a machine
> that has high
> resolution over a larger build area.  His early tests look quite
> promising.  But, he
> will have to develop custom electronics, probably using an FPGA, to modulate
> the laser to produce the raster.  (It is possible to gut a laser printer
> and fudge the
> myriad sensor inputs, but it might be a lot easier to just start from
> scratch.)

Yeah, the limited size is the main reason why I didn't consider funding the
Kickstarter project. The build area at 100 microns is only 4x3 inches and only
2"x1.5" at 50 microns. Using an HD projector would of course increase that size
to an almost practical size (still 8x6 inches is pretty small). But going that
route, I would be better off just building my own so I don't pay for two
projectors.

Now if I did jewelry, the stock size would be much more suitable.

I wonder about using 4 HD projectors or would optical distortion along the
edges be a problem? That would allow a roughly 15.5"x11.6" build size at 100
microns.

Best,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Engineer