On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:

>> The TM500 series do get warm, but I haven't noticed my TM504 get
>> uncomfortably hot to the touch fully loaded.  The TM5000 series did
>> add a fan to the case, though the 5000 series plugins are a lot more
>> complex.  They come with a GPIB plug on each plugin and a GPIB plug on
>> the back of the mainframe.
>>
>> Mark
>>
> GPIB might have come in handy, but did you ever read the specs? That is a
> very power hungry interface.  Adding that to every module in the frame
> could easily add 200+ watts of heat to get rid of.  There is a reason GPIB
> didn't take over the factory floor bus, same one that eventually killed the
> use of terminating resistor banks on scsi buses in favor of active terms.
> Power budgets.
>
> Cheers, Gene

I've never used the GPIB interface myself, but I could see a number of
uses for it.  You can get relatively inexpensive USB-GPIB and
Ethernet-GPIB converters online.

There are also open source utilities for Unix/Linux that support GPIB:

http://gpib-utils.sourceforge.net/

The heat factor is probably why they added the fan to the TM5000
series.  Since the TM500 series didn't support the GPIB interface, it
probably was deemed not necessary.

Mark