On 8/22/2012 2:43 AM, Marcus Bowman wrote:
> I would be interested to know if there are any really good free 3D packages
> for Mac, PC or Linux. Something as capable as Inventor or SolidWorks.
Marcus:

I started creating a list of my own last spring. I got interrupted by
family health problems before I could assess all of these. The following
is my running list. I make no claim that it is complete nor than any
entry is better or more suitable than another nor that any entry could
possibly be of interest to anyone besides me. Because you asked about 3D
modelers, I deleted the 2D drafting entries such as community QCAD,
LibreCAD, DraftSight, Solid Edge 2D Drafting.

Note that I include commercial software if the license allows me to use
it for free. Feel free to ignore those entries. I have been a paid-up
customer of AlibreDesign since before I retired, so it's not like I
won't pay real money for software. It's a bit like taxes; I don't want
to pay more than I have to for what I want to do.

Note that not all of these are serious contenders for a CAD/CAM
environment (BRL-CAD, for example, may well have Cow Power but it is
constipated---I can't get any useful data file out of it; the Open
Cascade project is not itself a CAD system but is the 3D CAD engine and
file translator for many). Some are meshed surface modellers only and
better suited for additive machining (e.g., 3D printing) than
subtractive (e.g., milling). Some aren't far enough along yet to.

I have a companion spreadsheet I'm working on that compares input/import
and save/export file options of different packages (it includes tools
not show here) from which I can develop start-to-finish work flows. My
goal is a wizard that allows me to enter what I have (e.g., a design
model given to me in some format) and what I want to do with what I have
(e.g., create G-Code) so it can recommend a tool chain. This is not
ready for prime time.

Note that some of the products which I've loaded only on Win7 likely can
be made to work on Linux using Wine. I just haven't bothered to try.
Some may even have Linux versions in the works that I've overlooked.

My intent is to update the LinuxCNC wiki with my results, along with
some examples, if I can just get the time to complete what I started.

If anyone has other candidates for the list I'd be happy to hear about them.

---start list---

Open Source or at least free-to-use 3D CAD modelers

1. BRL-CAD 7.20.2 <- loaded on Win7/Linux 10.04LTS
2. Open Cascade Project
3. FreeCAD 0.12.5284 <- loaded on Win7, Linux 10.04LTS
4. HeeksCAD/HeeksCNC <- no development in last year, mostly
5. SketchUp8 <- loaded on Win7, Linux 10.04
6. Autodesk 123D --- web-based
7. gCAD3D 1.80 <- loaded on Win7
8. Salome 6.4.0 <- loaded on Win7
9. Blender 2.62 <- loaded on Win7
10. VisualCAD2012 <- loaded on Win7
11. OpenSCAD (2011.06/.12) <-loaded on Win7, Linux 10.04
12. Creo Elements/Direct Modeling Express 4.0 <- loaded on Win7

Open Source or at least free-to-use CAM

1. VisualMILL2012 (plugin to VisualCAD2012)
2. NGCGUI (LinuxCNC)
3. PyCAM
4. OpenSCAM (early alpha) <- loaded on Win7, Linux 10.04

---end list---

As an aside, I had no problem getting a license key for DraftSight but
it's been long enough ago that I don't remember what I had to do.

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent