On Thursday 23 August 2012 11:59:35 Mark Wendt did opine:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Hi all;
> >
> > I am still trying to put that ball screw in the X axis of my
> > mini-lathe, and as I was cleaning things up, getting ready for the
> > next step of the assembly, I find that I have not fixed a gib problem
> > this POS has had since day one, and likely cannot without a new, more
> > precisely fitting gib strip.
> >
> > The first time I ever took it apart, I noted that it was bent,
> > swaybacked by about an eight of an inch just laying on the table
> > relaxed.
> >
> > So I got out something resembling an anvil and bent it back as
> > straight as I could, then polished it till its wear face was straight
> > before I reassembled it, removing possibly .005" in getting the upper
> > facing 45 degree angle so it marked a magic marker full length.
> >
> > Today as I was reassembling it and attempting to adjust the gib
> > screws, I noted that the top face not only wasn't in contact with the
> > bottom of the slider, the tip of it at the bottom of the carriages
> > v-cut was sharper than the bottom of the carriages v-cut, so I
> > purposely rounded off that edge hoping that both sides of the V would
> > make contact.  Such is not the case and never will be with this
> > strip, it is not only about 50 thou thinner than it should be, but
> > when the angled face is in contact with the V-way, its top face is
> > clearing the bottom of the cross slider at a very noticeable angle of
> > at least 10 degrees.
> >
> > If I stick my pocket knife into the gap between the carriage top and
> > the bottom of the slider, I can lift the right edge of the crossfeed
> > a good 20 thou, which explains a lot of why I can't begin to use all
> > the spindle motor for a cut and the bit, when the cross slide tips up
> > like that, is driven into the workpiece hard enough to stall the
> > spindle & blow the fuse or trip my electronic fuse in .hal instantly.
> >  I can actually see the gib strip being picked up by the adjustment
> > screws, allowing a tip up of at good 20-30 thou by the time the top
> > of it is in contact with the bottom of the slider.  I can also see
> > straight through the clearance gap, both top and bottom. EG this sows
> > ear is decomposing.
> >
> > LMS doesn't show a replacement strip for this lathe, so it appears I
> > will need to make a new one.  So, 2 questions:
> >
> > 1: What should I make it out of?
> >
> > 2: will the usual 45 degree dovetail bit suffice to establish the
> > correct angles to contain this lifting of the right edge of the cross
> > feed slider?
> >
> > 3: Or, perchance is this a stock item at some other machinery peddler
> > besides LMS?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Gene,
>
> I'm trying to dig out where I stuffed it, but a buddy of mine by the
> name of Rick Kruger came up with a relatively simple, yet elegant
> [...]
I saw those in one of my google searches Mark, neat, but that isn't the gib
in hand, this one is under the cross feed slider, on its right side.  Rides
the dovetail on top of the carriage IOW.

Cheers, Gene
A man always remembers his first love with special tenderness, but after
that begins to bunch them.
                -- Mencken